Sunday, August 14, 2011

Google search and the power of numbers!

     Attempting to optimize my LinkedIn profile, I came across this informative article:
http://www.booleanblackbelt.com/2011/03/linkedins-dark-matter-undiscovered-profiles/

     On the commute back to Sacramento for the beginning of my MBA program, I went through my reading assignments for Business Statistics and read about the power of numbers in defining the algorithms of online searches. Although math never being my strong-suit, the practicality of the science has always intrigued me. You always hear people say, "what is the point of learning algebra when I am never going to use it again after this class," but - in my opinion - this is absolutely untrue. Math has endless uses in every aspect of life, whether it is to determine the viability of a business idea or the chances of your favorite sports team winning this year. Systematically making sense of the numbers can help you make better decisions, however, I also believe in balancing logic with intuition. No matter how you assess the probability of your success in the stock market, for example, one must also trust their instincts.

No comments:

Post a Comment