Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Re: "JD Waitress"

http://waitressjd.blogspot.com/2007/06/who-am-i-kidding-bar-exam-is-way-of.html

     Spurred by the blog in the link above, today's thoughts made me reconsider my career plans. I know I don't have any subscribers and it's unlikely anyone will see or comment on my first post, but this is for my own future reference. 

     As with anything worth having, good things have a price. This summer has been a crucial turning point for my life, planning and deciding the path to my future career. After considering the benefits and costs (still evaluating all the possibilities), I've become doubtful whether law school is a good investment. 


Cons
1) $100k+ debt
2) A LOT of unemployed JDs or ones that end up with a low-end job (waiting tables, taxi driver, etc.)
3) Those who don't attend the top 10 law schools are at a disadvantage if they want to practice at a large firm. Aside from that, if you're not ranked in the top portion of your class that does you no favors.
4) At my age, three more years of rigorous academics is three more years of experience I sacrifice (which I desperately need).


Pros
1) Interesting and critical knowledge to have, even if I don't practice.
2) Prestigious credential on my resume.
3) More time to mature before facing "the real world."
4) A personal goal/accomplishment I'd like to have


*Sacrificed income isn't really an issue at the moment because I do haven't entered the work-force .


Until I find out more, more on this later..

No comments:

Post a Comment